Horizon data settlement legit? Learn everything there is to know about Horizon Data Breach Settlement 2023
Horizon data settlement legit – The Horizon data breach settlement is a legal agreement between Horizon Actuarial Services LLC and the plaintiffs involved in the class-action lawsuit filed against the company. The settlement stems from a data breach that occurred in 2018, resulting in the unauthorized disclosure of sensitive personal information of thousands of participants and 25 multi-employer benefit plans.
Disclaimer/Note: This document is for informational purposes only and does not constitute financial, but maybe some legal advice. It is based on the available information as of 2023, and individual experiences may vary.
A $7.75 million settlement has been reached in the Horizon settlement involving a data breach at a consulting firm. This legal action arises from a cybersecurity breach at Horizon Actuarial Services LLC, which caused approximately 100,000 individuals to lose access to their employer-sponsored benefit plans. Below are your Horizon settlement options and rights:
Submit a claim form:
- In order to receive payment, you must submit a claim.
- Online submissions must be submitted by February 21, 2024, or mailed entries must be postmarked by that date.
Opt-out of the class:
- By opting out, you will not receive any payment from the settlement. Members of the Settlement Class must take this step to retain their rights to initiate or participate in other legal actions against the Defendant for the same claims.
- Requests for opt-out must be submitted or postmarked no later than January 22, 2024.
Table of Contents
Horizon data settlement legit – Object to the settlement or attend the fairness hearing:
- You are entitled to express your views concerning the settlement to the Court. You will not be able to change the settlement terms, but the Court will consider your viewpoint. It is also possible to speak at the Final Approval Hearing on March 25, 2024 if you wish.
- By January 22, 2024, objections must be received.
Take no action:
- If you don’t act, you will forfeit your settlement class rights and won’t receive any payment.
- In this case, there is no deadline.
Horizon data settlement legit 2023
In the lawsuit against Horizon Actuarial Services LLC, the breach impacts 25 multiemployer benefit plans and thousands of participants. According to the suit, the breach was caused by Horizon’s failure to establish robust security systems and protocols, a crucial oversight in an era where data breaches are increasingly frequent and destructive. Beyond inadequate operational safeguards, Horizon was also accused of failing to take the following steps:
- Its employees and vendors receive adequate training and supervision.
- Security practices that meet industry standards.
- Regulations and laws governing data security must be adhered to by the organization.
A notice has been issued by the Court to inform affected individuals of the terms of the settlement and their legal rights and options, before deciding whether to approve the settlement. It is revealed in the lawsuit that the affected parties were not notified of the breach until November 2021. Initially, Class Members were notified around January 13, 2022, with the Plaintiff receiving notice five months later in April 2022. Because of this delay, Class Members were unaware that their sensitive personal information had been compromised, resulting in identity theft and other forms of harm. There is a $7,750,000 non-reversionary Settlement Fund established as part of the Horizon settlement. Among the purposes of this fund are:
- Cash compensation, out-of-pocket loss reimbursement, and lost time reimbursement.
- Paying for administrative expenses and notices.
- Fees and expenses awarded by the court must be paid.
- All class members benefit from a cy pres payment.
Out-of-Pocket Losses are eligible for reimbursement under the proposed settlement, which includes, but is not limited to:
- Theft of identity or fraud losses.
- In addition to legal fees and accounting fees, credit-repair fees are also charged.
- Credit freeze or unfreeze costs with credit reporting agencies.
- Following Horizon’s notification of the Data Security Incident through the claim submission date, credit monitoring expenses may be incurred.
- The payment of out-of-pocket expenses to third parties, including notaries, faxes, postage, copies, mileage, and long-distance phone charges, provided that the expenditures have not been reimbursed.
Horizon data settlement legit: How to get the compensation?
The following steps must be followed in order to receive compensation from the Horizon settlement:
- Make a claim: Fill out the claim form and submit it for the benefit you desire. On the settlement’s official website, claim forms are available, or you can request them by calling 1-877-395-9210.
- The Settlement Administrator will review each claim for documentation and validity. In order to validate the claim, they may require additional information. The claim will not be paid if additional information is not provided in a timely manner.
- Wait for court approval and processing: On March 25, 2024, the Court will hold a Final Approval Hearing to decide whether to approve the Settlement. A decision may be appealed, and resolving those takes time. The processing of all Claim Forms also takes time. The best course of action during this time is to be patient.
Horizon settlement amount
The following benefits may be available to Settlement Class Members who file a claim:
- Expenses incurred in connection with a Data Security Incident that have been documented and are unreimbursed (up to $5,000).
- For time spent resolving issues related to the Data Security Incident, up to 5 hours at $25/hour (up to $125 total).
- For those who lived in California at the time of the Data Security Incident, a cash payment of up to $50 will be provided to Settlement Class Members who claim it.
You may also like 👇
It is important to remember that if you do nothing, you will not receive any compensation from the Settlement. Your rights to sue the Defendant for claims related to the Horizon Settlement will be waived if the Settlement is approved and you have not excluded yourself or submitted a claim. Thanks for reviewing again the Lawsuit against Horizon Actuarial Services LLC, central to the Horizon data settlement legit beliefs!